Thursday 17 July 2008

Thursday 17th July 2008

What a day this has been !!!! Last night, my temperature was still high, so they sent me down for a chest x-ray at 10.30pm! The radiographer had to come in from home especially! It was really spooky going down there when no one else was about. The doctor had a look at the x-ray and it was OK, so it wasn't that making me hot. They had a think about me and decided to leave everything as it was last night- this morning I woke up and they changed my antibiotics to 2 lots,and it has helped. My temperature has been fine all day.
I had a bed bath today with a nurse and my mum.Then the nurse came in and took the 2 drains that were on my leg out - it hurt and I screamed!! Then the same nurse took out my epidural - the fine tube that was in my spine, having medicine pushed down it stopping my leg from hurting. I was very scared and I cried when she took it out, but once it was done it felt much better and my back isn't sore any more. I've now got to take medicine for the pain if I get any.
Once I had that out, the physiotherapist came and the nurse took of my backslab cast and all of my dressings. I saw the scar-its not as big as I thought it would be, and it isn't all bloody either!!
Mum said they had made a good job of it and the doctor was good at sewing!Some of the scar has been glued together, and the bit over my knee cap has stitches!!! The only trouble is that there is a bandage stuck to the glue - the nurse said she will leave it on until the glue dissolves, or it will hurt!
The scar is about 30cm long from just above my knee cap.The nurse put a smaller white dressing on the front of my leg and the physio put a splint on my leg to keep it straight. Then she sat me up on the edge of my bed, and I put my good leg on the floor. I went a bit dizzy because I hadn't sat up for 3 days but it felt great to sit up again. I put my own pyjamas on and felt better.
We also watched a magic show by Magic Dave and Daisy the Cow!! They came on to the ward and he was really funny!
I decorated some candles today then tried to have some tea but I was sick all over my clean pyjamas and mum and the nurse had to change me again!!!I was really tired after all that so I went to sleep. Nan and Grandad are coming to see me tomorrow so I hope I feel better by then!

2 comments:

Millie said...

Hi Sarah

After reading your last entry, I bet you cant wait for the doctors and nurses to stop prodding you about.
I am glad to hear though you had a bed bath, as I did wonder what the smell was in Teddington!!! Only joking.

You were missed last night at school as it was the Year 6 All Stars Talent show,and what talent there was!!!
We videoed it so as soon as you are back home we will bring you round a copy so you dont miss out on the laughs!!

Keep smiling like you always do.

lots of love

Jo-anne (Millie's mum)
xxx

olivia said...

hi sarah i bet you were relieved to have your tumour taken out . sounds painfull i hope you are more comfy today. I miss you very much.

love from olivia xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo