Tuesday 13 January 2009

Tuesday 13th January

Monday 5th January was a trip to see Maria, Sarah's consultant at UCH - she was very pleased with her progress, and apart from nearly insisting on a blood test(Sarah had a panic fit and she changed her mind!!)it was uneventful, thank goodness - and long may it continue. These 2 monthly appointments will fill me with fear and dread for years to come, in case of a recurrance, but fingers crossed it won't happen. Sarah was sent for a chest X-ray, and I'm assuming it was clear as we haven't had a phone call hauling us back in again. Back to school Tuesday - a bit of a shock getting up at 7am again and Soooooooo cold!!! Sarah had a good week,managing to go all day from 8.40am to 3.15pm for 3 days (and I went to work - shock horror!!!)before yet another day off to go to the hearing centre. That too was uneventful, and we were told that they were happy that Sarah's selective hearing was 'normal' and it was her attention span that was lacking, not her hearing ability!!!(We could have told them that 6 months ago!)
Friday night Sarah went back to swimming club for the first time since February! She was very happy, and they were really pleased to see her. She hobbled in on her walking frame, did 30 lengths as if there was nothing wrong with her leg, and was hoisted out on the disabled hoist when she got tired!
Saturday, we all got up at 6.45am to take Katie to Southampton to play in an indoor hockey tournament - we had a nice day out, did a bit of shopping and watched Katie's team lose 2 games - oh well!!!!
Monday 12th, school again followed by swimming club yet again - go Sarah!!! She managed to swim for 45 minutes this time and did a few backstroke lengths which involved alot more kicking with BOTH legs - lets hope all this exercise works wonders with her walking...........I might be imagining it, but I'm sure there is a slight improvement when she walks - definately a bit more weight going down. She can get 7 stone pushed through it on the scales standing still-so far costing me a 'Pop Party 6'CD, 'The Boy in the Dress' book,and 'Mr Magoriums Wonder Emporium' DVD-bribery works every time with my daughter - but no where near as much when actually moving!!I am living in hope that one day, I will come in from work and she will be walking round the house unaided. I keep walking off with the crutches to see if she'll try, but no sign yet........At least the wheelchair hasn't been used since Disneyland - my back is very grateful!!

3 comments:

Rose said...

Well done Sarah my god thirty lengths!! I'd be pushed to do that and I haven't just spent a year in hospital I think you're amazing! Agree swimming has to be good but we not in your league - about 5 mins of kicking on a raft more Rose's style but going to keep going twice a week to try to strengthen her! Am finding all this time on her bum in a classroom bit of a mixed blessing...we have finally fought for and got 4 measly hydro sessions which start this Friday so fingers crossed for some progress! Sounds like it's going much better go girls all our love and hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lucy said...

All sounds fabulous! I have visions of her just "forgetting" one day and Sarah will just start walking normally - or is this a bit too ambitious?!

School sounds like its doing you both a lot of good and the return of normality. And swimming sounds amazing! Well done Sarah! I went swimming on monday and gave up after 26 lengths so you're doing better than me!

I am coming on the 7th....been researching my outfit! Really looking forward to having lots to celebrate and having a boogie with my bravest cousin on the dancefloor!

See you soon, lots of love x

Mike and Jan said...

Brilliant stuff! Must be so good to get back to some sort of normality although we know that there will still be some nervous moments along the way. What's everyone wearing to the party? Mike and I are in need of inspiration!!! See you all on the 7th Feb. Jan xxxx